Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Christmas Toys in Review- The Good

So we have some new toys here in the Waters house since the Christmas season. Some of them have been huge hits while others have fallen far short of the glory that the tv commercials promised (can you believe that?? ha!). I always like to share my opinions on toys we have because I like to hear other opinions as well. So for what its worth, here is my two cents on some of the toys the boys received for Christmas.

Hot Wheels Color Shifter Garage
Can be purchased at any retail store $24.99
This may very well have been the hit of the season for both of my boys. It was a gift for my four year old but my eight year old loves it just as much. It has been a huge hit with every friend my boys have had over- boys and girls alike. The cars go around the track and can either fall in cold water that will change the car color or hot water that will change the color back. The downside is that it only works with the specific Hot Wheels Color Shifter cars; however, two come with the garage. It can be messy so we put a towel under the whole garage and let the boys play with it in the kitchen floor. Would definitely suggest this if you don't mind the mess!

Playmobil Pyramid
Can be purchased at Toys R Us or online at the PlayMobil site
Its an expensive purchase and at least in the beginning of this Christmas season was a tough toy to find. Both of my boys love imaginative play. They love PlayMobil, Legos, and Imaginext. Aidan at a young five is not quite there yet with being able to contruct the massive lego sets on his own and gets very frustrated because they fall apart so easily when he tries to play with them. PlayMobil still has the construction aspect to it so he can build the set; however, the pieces are much larger sections and much less involved allowing him to build it on his own. And because it is in larger sections, stays together for play. This was one of those toys I thought at first was a bust. He wanted it so badly but didn't play with it for a while. Now, he, his brother and friends play frequently with it. I love listening to them and the stories they make up for the Egyptians. We have other PlayMobil sets and they end up playing with them all together so it doesn't matter that some sets are pirates, some are the Romans, etc -- they all go together very well.

Monopoly Deal
Most retail stores $4.99
We LOVE playing games in our house. I think Jim and I love it just as much as the boys. The boys would be content to play the same four games over and over. Jim and I are not. We get bored with the same games and are constantly looking for new ones that we all will enjoy. Avery LOVES Monopoly. Aidan hates it- mainly because it takes too long. We have Star Wars Monopoly but rarely get to play it because it is so lengthy. We found the perfect solution. Parker Brothers came out with a card game called Monopoly Deal. Its the same concept of collectiong properties, charging rent, getting hotels, etc only at a much faster pace. We have played this every night since Christmas. Aidan is five and below the age range suggested on the box but has had no issues learning the game. Great game and only $4.99


Rolling Coaster Cars
Overstock.com $42.99
Although we haven't had a huge amount of time to play around with these due to the frigid temps, the time we have spent has been fun!! The boys love them. It did take Aidan a while to really get the motion of it to get going but he's good now. Jim and I raced them down opposite sidewalks and had a blast. They seem to go well downhill or on flat surfaces; however, neither the boys or I have been able to get them to work really well getting uphill. The garage floor was a fun surface- the boys were able to spin around and spin out. We're hoping it warms up soon so we can play around with them more.

Wii Games
Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics

Lego Rock Band

Both are $49.99
Two of the most fun Wii games we have!

So what did your kiddos get for Christmas? What do you love and what is not so great? Would love to hear from you. My next post will be on the toys that fell short. :)

5 comments:

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

What a fun post! :) I love hearing what others think about the toys. The big hits at our house were Monopoly Jr, the GlowStation and Glowboard. Bobby just got Wii Sports Resort for his birthday and we love it!

BOYS & GIRLS TOYS said...

You have given very nice and enjoyful games list. All are pretty and easy to play. I have heard about Hot Wheels Color Shifter Garage, in it car wheels changes colors in hot water. Also young boys and girls will like Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics.

Mandy LeMay said...

Great suggestions! I've missed your blog!:)
The car thing looks cool. With Levi's b-day coming up, I may have to look into that, and I think we are getting him Lego RB- I've heard it's fun. He's getting RB from my Mom- so that will be a fun addition- Ghostbusters is one of his 'songs'!

Levi got the Winter Olympics and Super Mario Bros, and those were his fun things- he also got a little four wheeler that he's loved! Luke got the Batcave and Dragon Castle that are made by Imagitex- and they have been great so far. Also got some new games- The new Battleship design stinks- we don't like it much....

Looks like ya'll had a great Christmas! Glad your back- it's been months and months since I've updated my blog, I'm so behind!! I should probably just scrap it all together!

Happy New Year sweet Susan!!

The Jacksons said...

Anna's favorites were Barbie doll house, barbie camper, and a bed for her American Girl doll (from Target, of course).
Luke's favorite were Super Mario Wii, the Toy Story pop up playhouse, and a hotwheels racetrack.

Christmas Toys 2013 said...

Wow! Awesome deals. Fun and adorable for kids! I’m just too happy to find this kind of deals! Everything on the list I just love it! Very Playful. Happy Holidays!