Wednesday, December 5, 2007

My Man

Let's face it, the very mention of TDOT in the state of Tennessee conjurs up negative images for most. People's minds start flooding with pictures of orange and white construction barrels, endless lane closures, years and years and years and years (you get the point) of on-going construction on EVERY major thoroughfare in the state.
Once I had to go to the ER for a kidney stone (if you've ever had one you know they hurt like crazy), I was in the hospital bed waiting for the nurse to finish up gathering the info for insurance purposes (because I couldn't get any PAIN medication until they did that). The nurse is asking my husband all the relevant info and he asks where my husband is employed. Of course Jim says TDOT and the nurse starts in on this long conversation about the woes of TN construction and do the engineers just sit around dreaming up new ways to frustrate motorists and I'm over in the bed-HELLO with a freaking kidney stone not caring at the moment about our road system... :)
Anyway, you get the point- TDOT doesn't recieve a lot of praise. That's why I had to post this link to an article in the magazine Professional Surveyor. If you type in 26(that's the page number) in the top middle where you see CV1 and hit enter- it will take you to the page with the article on TDOT.
My husband LOVES what he does. I have to confess that I'm not as passionate about the composite of concrete or the design of a bridge or highway-- probably because most of it is over my head- my strengths were not in physics and calculus. But I love to hear him talk about his work because he is so passionate about it. You can see him hard at work on page 27. :)
Oh- and don't call us with your road complaints- :) Just kidding!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so cool! Jim's famous! :) That magazine was really cool. I loved the features. I wish you could get more online magazines with those same capabilities.

Susan said...

That would be great! I think I might actually get to read more magazines if they were online with those capabilities.