Monday, February 25, 2008

Progress


Do you remember Callendar Lane- that two lane spindly little road that felt like it wasn't big enough for one lane much less two. And do you remember when the city first opened Indian Lake Boulevard? I do. I remember driving Avery to Mothers Day Out (at First United Methodist) on Indian Lake when it was first opened and most of the time only seeing one or two other cars and it remained that way for a while. It got a little more crowded with the additions of WalMart, O'Charleys. and Chilis. I drive that road almost every day. I'm definitely on it at 9am and 3pm on Mon, Wed, and Fridays to take Aidan to Mothers Day Out and pick him up. My have things changed.
And I am so looking forward to Barnes and Noble, the new Regal Cinemas and all of the cool shops that will open. My youngest is anxiously awaiting the opening of Cracker Barrel. He thinks that is the BEST restaurant ever because they bring you your own maple syrup in "Aidan" sized little jars!
So this post isn't a complaint. I am all about convenience and all of these wonderful new things are going to be very convenient.
I am however, a little sad as I drive through there now because I know that sooner than I think my trip to Mothers Day Out isn't going to take me a mere six minutes. Sooner than I think those three new traffic signals are going to be turned on. Sooner than I think every acre is going to have something on it down that road. Sooner than I think its going to be the Christmas season and I just get these images of stand still traffic on Gallatin road in the Rivergate area.
So, that's the price of progress I guess. You give a little and you get a little.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every day we drive by there, Elise says "I can't wait for Cracker Barrel to open." Maybe we will have to go for pancakes sometime. After the initial 2 hour wait crowd!

Susan said...

Sounds like a plan. :) Yesterday they had unpacked the rocking chairs on the front porch of the restaurant- so I think they are close to opening.