Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go


Ok, so I don't have to ask what your first thoughts were when you viewed the above picture. George Michael may not have toured in over 15 years but he has certainly kept his name in the public view. He's had some very public, very memorable (not in the ways you'd want to be remembered) run ins with the authorities over the years. I feel quite certain that he would be much happier to be remembered for his music rather than the incidents in his private life.
Putting those aside, I have to say that George Michael holds a special place in my memory. In my younger years I absolutely LOVED Wham! Do you remember them? I had pictures of them - well mostly of George Michael plastered all over my walls in my room. My cousin and I owned several VHS tapes (yes I said VHS) of some of their live performances and we would watch them endlessly, dancing around and using the remote for a microphone. We always wanted to see them in concert but never did. Then... George Michael went solo. Now my parents were never fond of Wham but the Faith album sealed the deal for them. Especially the I want Your Sex song- that was the end of my walls plastered with pictures and the end of me being able to listen to George Michael in our house.
Now I know Wham! was just another pop band with a lot of fluff songs. I still loved every minute of it and Wake Me Up Before you Go-Go still brings a smile to my face. So whatever you think about them, you have to admit that George Michael has some legitimate talent- he really can sing and some of his much later in life lyrics are deeper and more pensive.
Will I go see him when he starts his tour here in the US? I have to admit I have always wanted to see him in concert ever since his Wham! days. It would have to be with a friend or my cousin because wild horses couldn't drag my husband to his concert. :)

2 comments:

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Have you seen that new show Eli Stone? He has been on it quite a few times. I am kinda diggin the show too. I loved Wham and George Micheal. For some reason I don't think it was an issue for me to listen to him....maybe my parents didn't listen to it first?

Susan said...

I have seen commercials for the show so I knew George Michael was incorporated in it somehow. So, its pretty good? I may have to check out and episode.