Thursday, October 9, 2008

Choose Your Own Adventure


Did you read these books as a child? They were my absolute favorite series of books. The best thing is that depending on the choices you made as you were reading, it was a different story each time you picked it up. If you're not familiar with them, they are called the Choose Your Own Adventure series by R. A Montgomery. Within the series are numerous books like Journey Under the Sea, Mayan Gold, The Abominable Snowman, etc. You read the first page of the book and at the bottom are two choices. For example, I bought Avery Journey Under the Sea and its about a crew of explorers trying to find Atlantis. The first page was about how they lowered the underwater explorer vehicle deep in the ocean. It goes on to tell of the dangers in the deep and also of the exciting things that are out there to explore. The choices at the bottom of the page were: If you decide to disconnect from the ship and explore deeper turn to page 5 OR if you decide it better to stay with the ship and explore in close proximity turn to page 3. Each page has two choices at the bottom. You continue to read and make choices until you reach the end of your adventure or your demise. :)
I love to read and would read all the time when I was little. Avery reminds me a lot of me at his age. He struggled with reading in Kindergarten and I was so afraid he wasn't going to enjoy it. We read a lot to him and made him read every night. I'm not sure what happened but about a 1/4th of the way in to his 1st grade year, reading just clicked with him and he's been loving it ever since. One of his favorite places to go is Barnes and Noble.
What did you like to read as a kid? What do your kiddos enjoy? We are almost through the Magic Treehouse series and would love some ideas on others.

4 comments:

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

I LOVED these books when I was a kid! I will have to pick some up. We are almost done with the Magic Treehouse series too. We have been trying to decide what series to do next so I will be checking back to see what you find!

Anonymous said...

I don't remember really reading those books, but our neighbor's son was just asking our daughter if she liked to read those. We will have to find some. No suggestions for boy books though, Erin gravitates towards fairies & fantasy, along with Nancy Drew & the Hardy Boys.

junglemama said...

I absolutely loved these books growing up! Do they still make them?

Susan said...

Christine,
They do still have them. I don't think there are any new ones though. We found them at Barnes and Noble. But I also found them online at Amazon.com and they have book sets which is a cheaper way to buy them than the $3.99 a book at B&N.