Friday, October 17, 2008

Goblins and Ghouls






I love this time of year for many reasons. Mainly I love the crispness of the air, putting away my shorts and pulling out the jeans, the beautiful colors, and Halloween. I love Halloween. Let me clarify. I love the Halloween that is just the fun holiday (nothing to do with All Hallows Eve or with anything evil.) As a kid I have to admit that I had more fun passing out candy from my front porch than dressing up and trick or treating. Sometimes my dad would dress up too. I just enjoyed seeing everyone in their costumes.
We lived in a neighborhood with a ton of kids so we always had a lot of trick or treaters. On many occasions I remember my mom closing the door and turning off the porch light at around 8 because we had run out of candy. And let me tell you, my mom was not a skimper when it came to candy. She bought the good stuff and tons of it. So when I say we ran out of candy you know that we had a crazy amount of trick or treaters.
My mom bought milky ways, snickers, reeses, and three musketeers. If you came to my house, you were gonna get some chocolate. The one thing my mom bought every year were those gross gooey, can hardly chew them, stick to the roof of your mouth peanut butter chews- you know the ones- wrapped in either orange or black. Yuck! I would refuse to give those out so we always ended up with mass amounts of it left after Halloween. Thinking back, the smart thing to do would have been to give that yucky stuff out and horde the good chocolate!
Even after I moved out, I came back every Halloween to my mom's house to pass out candy. And after we had the boys, we took them to her neighborhood to trick or treat.
My boys LOVE Halloween and if I asked you why you thought that was, I'm sure most would think because of the candy. They do like the candy but what they love more is dressing up. Avery has been a duck, Barney, Woody from Toy Story, Shrek, The Thing, the red Power Ranger, The Human Torch and this year will be Anakin Skywalker from Star Wars. Aidan has been a pumpkin, Frankenstein, a glow in the dark skeleton, and will be Captain Rex, leader of the Clone Troopers from Clone Wars.
Once back home from trick or treating, the boys like to dump out their bags and sort their candy. They take great joy in this. :) We immediately pull out any candy they don't like and that goes with Jim to work the next day. They then get to keep their candy for a couple of days and whatever is left after that goes with Jim once again to work where he puts it on his secretary's desk to share. Jim said that its fairly busy around that candy bowl until the chocolate runs out. After that it takes days for the smarties, gum, and tootsie rolls (oh yeah and those orange and black wrapped yucky chews) to get gone.
So Happy Halloween in the dress up, trick or treat, Its the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown kind of way. :)

7 comments:

Meredith said...

Remember the Halloween that we went to the movies and your mom kept Drake while she gave out Halloween candy?

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

SO cute! I LOVE this time of year!

Montee said...

Oh yes, I loved Halloween when I was a kid. Then my children always loved Halloween. They got tons of candy when we lived in TN. Then when we moved to TX, the first couple of years they got tons of candy. Here a lot of people would go around this one particular, older neighborhood. We did not walk around though. Someone would pull a trailer with hay (like a hayride)and we would all have a hayride and stop at each house for the kids to get candy. There would be dozens of these wagons going around. It was such fun! Now, in our neighborhood we don't get a lot of trick-or-treaters. We live in a gated community so a lot of people are shut out. I don't like that. Too many fuddy duddies around here. I probably won't handout candy this year because it's not worth buying any. Oh, and in my neighborhood you get more granola bars than Snicker Bars. Blah!

Susan said...

I do remember that Meredith- what movie did we see?

Anonymous said...

Those black & orange things are gross! Candy of last resort to eat when you have already raided all the chocolate out of your kid's basket! I wish your Mom was still here....I might just dress up for some good chocolate! I always like it when people hand out the full size candy bars. Erin hoarded hers from last year & forgot about them. She should have just eaten them all that night. ha ha. BTW, I LOVE that Woody costume. He sure was a cutie!

Susan said...

Believe it or not, Jim's mom made the Woody costume- the vest, shirt and bandana part. She did an awesome job- that's my favorite costume he's ever worn.

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are ADORABLE!!!