Friday, January 16, 2009

Surrendering- Step One


Today, I let go of one of the duties that I have held tight for the thirteen years I have been married. Actually I guess if you really break it down, I have held tight to doing bills and balancing my accounts since I was old enough to have any kind of bank account. And I am a stickler for balancing to the penny. This has been a GREAT source of contention for my sweet hubby and me. Here I am a write everything down, balance to the penny, mega-saver and here he is a write it down when my wallet fills up- if I feel like it, never balance a checkbook because I know there is money in there, spend it like its your last day on Earth non-saver. :) That's what we were like when we first married.
We came from different backgrounds. My parents were both hard workers who didn't make a lot of money. We always had what we needed but not much beyond that. My parents never had credit cards and my daddy never bought anything he couldn't pay for in cash. That's the way I grew up. My mom was very frugal because she had to be. I learned my habits from them.
Jim grew up in a family where things were not nearly as tight. They were not wealthy but well off enough to have what they needed and then be able to buy the things they wanted. He learned his habits from his situation.
Right out of college, I worked at the Department of Children's Services investigating child abuse and neglect where the people receiving AFDC and food stamps made almost as much a month as I did. Jim was an engineer so right out of college he started with the State of North Carolina in their survey and design department. I don't have to tell you that starting salaries were very different between the two jobs. :) I had to keep on top of my money because I didn't have a lot of it and I had rent, car insurance, groceries, etc. Jim didn't feel that pinch because well like I said the difference in the two salaries was significant so he had money to play around with.
So, that's how we came together on the money issue when we got married. I have to say that after thirteen years, Jim has come much of the way over to my view of things financial. The rubber really hit the road when I decided to stay home after the birth of our first son. There would be no more extra to play around with. We were a one income household and we had to stay on our budget.
I have always done our bills, kept on top of savings, and any other accounts, 401k, etc that we have. I do our budget. If you had asked me a few weeks ago why, I would have said it was because Jim doesn't like to do it. Ask me now and I'll tell you its because I like to be in control and I don't feel like he can do it as well as me. Ouch. The fact is that Jim CAN do it as well as I can, in fact, he may be a lot better at it. He's an educated man who is loyal to his family, loves his God, and would of course manage our money accordingly. Well, focusing on my word for 2009, I am turning that over to him. I think he's wanted to do it for a while and it should have been his a long time ago.
We get paid on the 15th so yesterday was the first time in thirteen years that I didn't sit down at the computer to do our bills, etc. I gave him all the information, passed on the budget, showed him how I'd done things all these years. Is it making me a little crazy- YES! I have the urge to ask Jim a million and one questions, "Are you sure you...?" Not that we won't talk about things financial- of course we will. I just need to trust that he has it under control.
I'm not saying that any wife who does her family's finances needs to just hand it over. I'm saying for me I needed to. I wasn't doing our finances because I wanted to, I was doing them because I wanted control and because I didn't trust my husband to do them the "way I wanted them done." That was my issue and why I needed to surrender. So here we go.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's pretty huge!

Montee said...

Good for you! I have done the bills for 15 years and would really LOVE to turn it back over to Phillip. I started paying bills whenever I started staying home when Phillip left for Spring Training and the baseball season. It is just easier for us. I have threatened to turn bill paying back over to Phillip, but that seems to scare him to death.

Sarah said...

ok can I just admit that I was a little sick at my stomach reading this post. One of the things Jeremy and I agreed on was him starting to do the bills too but unfortunately it hasn't happened yet. I too have a little bit(ok a LOT) of control issues with this but I really do want to turn them over to him. A good friend of mine told me once that she and her husband did this b/c she was staying home and doing the bills but more than that almost like a mom telling him how much he could spend..yada yada when 1.he's the one making the money 2. he's the leader of the house. That hit home with me and like I said would LOVe to have Jeremy pay the bills but he likes having them paid...just not him doing it!! I look forward to hearing how God is going to use this in your marriage...way to go girl I know that was a HUGE step!!

Anonymous said...

So how many times have you checked the bank account online? Good for you to hand that over!

Meredith said...

I am so very proud of you for stepping out of your comfort zone and allowing God to use you to build up your husband this way. I know what a stretch it was for you, and so does God. He will reward your obedience. LOVE YOU BOTH!!!

Tracy Brothers said...

That is great Susan! I hope that you will get to where surrender = freedom so you can enjoy the extra time you have now that you've given up the control. We have quite the different situation. Neither of us likes to be in charge of the finances so I grudgingly do a terrible job at it. We are trying to come to a place where we share the dreaded responsibility.

Susan said...

I was just reading over this and wanted to make sure that no one thought I was being critical of Jim's habits or that of his parents. It was my intention to come across saying that I learned to be a little more tight with my money because I grew up in a home where there just wasn't a lot extra. And that Jim grew up with a little more- not that his parents or he spent irresponsibly- just that they could spend a little more freely because they had a little more.