Friday, February 20, 2009

Monumental

It's taken me some time to come up with a title for this post. Nothing seemed adequate. I think the one word does. We've had a busy few weeks; however, this post is about only one thing and its HUGE! Last Sunday Avery got baptized. If you've read my blog in the past, you will remember that Avery made his profession of faith last summer during Vacation Bible School. Why have we waited so long to have him baptized? We just wanted to make sure he knew exactly what that decision meant.
Our children's minister allowed Jim to do the "dunking." I love our church for so many reasons and this is yet another example. Avery is super shy and does not like for the attention to be directed on him. We knew it would be a struggle for him to be up in front of the entire congregation. Jim approached our children's minister requesting to be with Avery (we had seen another father baptize his son last summer.)
I will share some pictures from the day below. It was so amazing to watch. Have you ever had those times when you feel like your heart will burst- if you started crying you'd never stop? That was how I felt. I am not a crier but it was all I could do to contain the emotion. I did not get a picture of the actual act because we decided that Jim would take the camera to get pictures beforehand. I've tried our camera in big dark places before and the quality of the picture was not good. Jim got a good picture of Avery and our Children's minister. The church will mail us a DVD of the service.
We were so touched that Papa and Memaw came to visit. The boys loved having them here. Our good friends and neighbors, The Smiths were there and my sweet best friend and her family came also. I'm so thankful that my brother and nephew came and that Vickie was there as well.
My prayer is that Avery will grow in Christ each and every day.

Papa and Memaw come to visit.
Our wonderful Children's Minister and Avery right before his baptism.The White Waters Crew

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Next to seeing him born, it was the most beautiful thing that I have seen. :) LOVE YOU ALL

Montee said...

I almost cried when my children were baptized. What a joyous feeling it is!