Thursday, February 12, 2009

Remembering My Momma

There are a lot of things I remember about my momma but none more vividly than the way she loved her grandchildren. I've done a post previously on my momma so I thought I'd take the opportunity today to post about her as a Nana. And she was a great one. She loved Will, Avery, and Aidan passionately and wanted them to always be happy.
My mom worked at Wal-Mart. She worked the night shift and often times she would show up at our door at about 7am after just getting off with an arm full of stuff for Avery (this was before Aidan came along or she probably would have had to have a wheelbarrow to bring it all in-ha!). I remember one year he mentioned to her that he liked Shrek. The next day, she had bought him every character, pajamas, a blanket, and t-shirts. She enjoyed being able to do that because she was able to do that at that point in her life. Our household budget was tight growing up so she really had to watch her spending with me and my brother. I think that's one of the reasons it gave her such joy to be able to do that for the grandchildren.
I remember her letting the boys have dessert before dinner. What? Was that really my mom or had something taken over her body. :) I remember her getting sad if they got disciplined. I remember how her face would light up when they came to sit in her lap.
Avery will tell you that his fondest memory with Nana are the times he got to spend the night. She would let him sleep with her and called him her snuggle buddy. Aidan remembers that she always read to him. Even when she was sick, before she became bed ridden, he would run up to her with a book and she would happily oblige.
The boys miss their Nana and Jim and I sure do miss my momma. Every time Avery and Aidan get a balloon, whether its from a restaurant or a birthday party, the first thing they ask is if they can let it go for Nana. The other night Avery and I were sitting on the couch and he asked me if I thought Jesus was coming back soon. I told him I didn't know but I sure hoped so and he said, "I do too because I miss Nana and want to see her." And we take great comfort in knowing that momma is with Jesus and that we will see her again.

7 comments:

Montee said...

I can't wait to see my grandparents again either. I had wonderful paternal and maternal grandparents. They were so different from each other and each gave me special memories.

Jennifer said...

What a beautiful tribute, Susan.

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

We miss you Nana!!! Love Avery & Aidan

Anonymous said...

sweet, sweet...
i've been thinking of you guys today!

Heather said...

What a sweet post Susan.

Montee said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you too! No, we do not have anything special planned. Phillip leaves for Spring Training on March 1st so he is busy with the "Honey Do" list. Tomorrow will be the real celebration for you when you see Avery become "new."