Thursday, November 29, 2007

Greater Love...




My neighbor, Bob, passed away this week. Yesterday I attended his funeral. The boys and I would always see Bob and his friend Jim sitting out in the front yard whenever we were outside playing. Both men loved to laugh and joke with the boys. I never knew how Bob and Jim became friends, just that they seemed so close. I assumed that they had probably worked together when they both were employed and because they seemed such good friends, thought that they had been friends forever.
At Bob's funeral I had a chance to really talk with his friend Jim and got to hear a wonderfully touching story of true friendship. Its worth sharing...
Both Bob and Jim went to the JR Food/Gas station for coffee every morning. There were only two tables inside. Typically, Bob would sit at one table and Jim at the other. One day Jim came in for coffee and someone was sitting at one of the tables and Bob at the other. Jim decided to sit with Bob. They started talking and from that conversation came an amazing friendship that started that very day, seven years ago. Every day they would meet at the JR Food store, have coffee, and talk. Because they were there so often, they started to make the coffee on their own to keep the pot filled and the coffee fresh. After a while, the management said that because they did that for everyone, they could have as much free coffee as they wanted.
A few years ago, Jim's parents became ill. When Jim could no longer care for them on his own, Bob came every day for 18 months to assist him with their care. When Bob became ill, Jim came to his house every day and stayed with him so that his wife could go to work.
After Jim had finished telling me his story about their friendship, the staff at the funeral home asked us to make our way to the chapel for the funeral so that the family could have time by themselves for the last viewing. Jim was walking out with me when Bob's sister stopped him and said, "Jim, I think you should stay with us."
Life is difficult and I know our glorious God gives us people in our lives to walk with through all of the good and bad times. I have no doubt that meeting over coffee that day seven years ago was fully orchestrated by the Master.
Thank you Lord for the people you've put in my life, the people I call friends.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

What a sweet story...Poor Jim...I can't imagine life w/o you
ps. hate this pic of me...I look like a cheerleader on crack.

Susan said...

Meredith-- I love this picture. And Ralph should too-- after all we know your pasion for shoe shopping and look how excited you are about your shoes!!! LOL