Monday, November 12, 2007

Our Day

Harve (Jim-if I haven't told you the story behind his two names, let me know) gets one holiday a year that Sumner County schools don't. Its Veterans Day. So, he was home today and both boys were in school. I can't even begin to tell you what a blessing this day has been. We don't get much time together just the two of us- most married couples with small children don't get a lot of that. We have struggled to find babysitters and with both of my parents being gone and Harve's parents living in North Carolina, its just hard. But, we had today.
We decided to take the opportunity to do Christmas shopping for the boys. We were able to hold hands and we didn't have to worry about finding a place to eat that served chicken nuggets or pizza. :) But most of all, we were able to talk- really talk with each other.
I've been feeling a bit down about the upcoming holidays without my mom around and I was able to sit at lunch with my husband and just talk about my mom, and cry, and remember. Not something I can really do with my boys around. I so needed that. And when the crying was over, we got to talk about us and our family and what we could do during the holidays to make it special for our boys and to help them and us through a tough time.
And we shopped-- and who doesn't get help from some retail therapy? :) We talked about how we used to get excited about buying us things but now we just LOVE getting the boys stuff. I get so excited just thinking about how excited they are going to be.
I am so thankful for this day. It was a much needed refresher.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You remind me how much I love you everyday!! Yesterday was a blessing for me too!! It was so much fun and long overdue.


God truely had a "hand in this long before we ever knew"!!!!!

I love you
Harve

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

How fun to have a whole day for the two of you! :) Even if it was shopping for the kids it is good to get away together!

Meredith said...

Okay, I have cried enough for one night! That's just precious, honey. I am so glad you two found each other, and that you also found two people as crazy as you are! Whatcha gonna do with your life someday??