Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Dinner Exchange

I have to admit that when I first heard the idea I was thinking no way! It sounds daunting. If you've never done a dinner exchange (this is my first time) the details of it can sound overwhelming. The premise is that you and (in my case) three other families get together. Each family takes a night of the week and brings the other three families dinner on that night. I know- the thought of cooking meals for three families and your own in one night sounded crazy to me. This is the very reason I didn't do the first one that was offered. Then I talked with my neighbor who was doing it. She was telling me all of the yummy things she had had for dinner that week. And at around 5pm her doorbell would ring and for three out of five nights, her dinner would be brought to her hot and ready to serve.
My thinking changed course. I was no longer lamenting over the fact that I'd have to make four meals in one night but rejoicing in the fact that for three other nights, I wouldn't have to cook at all!! This is my first week- Ashley, Emily, Melanie and me. So far this week I've had yummy mexican chicken casserole, key lime pie, some amazing lasagna, fresh salad and I've yet to cook a thing!! All brought to my door ready to serve! Tonight is my night to cook so I'm anxious to see how it goes. I'm making lemon greek chicken and corn casserole. I'm a bit nervous about how I'm going to get everything cooked and keep it warm. I'll let you know how that goes.
Its something to think about. Get three other families (preferably close in proximity so the delivery time is minimal) and you've got yourself a dinner exchange. I would highly recommend it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny you posted this today. I was writing a post on the same thing. I LOVE the Dinner Exchange!!!

Tracy Brothers said...

I need to move to your neighborhood or something. I'm missing the dinner exchange, just not the long drive.

Susan said...

Come on, Tracy! There's a house for sale right next door to Ashley and across the street from me- pretty convenient!! And we'd love to have you as neighbors!! :)