Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Nose by Any Other Name

Do you think that the ability to blow your nose is innate or learned? You really could settle this ongoing debate my husband and I have had for the past 13 years. I think its innate. I think you're either born with it or you're not. My logic behind that theory- I have never been able to blow my nose. And I've really tried to do it. I can't. Avery isn't able to blow his nose either. Jim has tried to teach him how and he just can't do it.
Its a bad allergy time in Middle Tennessee. This brought this issue to the forefront in the past few weeks. What's your theory?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of anyone in my life who cannot blow their nose. Ever. I would say learned. We need to have an intervention to help you learn. I don't know... interesting question... Can you blow water out of your nose when you are swimming? Hilarious!

Montee said...

I've never heard of this either. I remember when my children were young and I would have to tell them to blow because they could not do it themselves. I would hold the tissue to the nose and say, "Blow!" I figure it's learned.

Jennifer said...

I was just thinking EXACTLY what Sara just wrote.

Susan said...

Ok apparently Avery and I are lacking something. :) We must be some kind of anomalies. :) We just can't do it.

Tracy Brothers said...

I've also never heard of anyone who couldn't do it. I'd like to see this for myself. So, like Sarah asked, can you blow bubbles in water with your nose? Should I even ask...how do you ever get the boogers out?

Anonymous said...

Never heard of that girl... I can still remember my Dad teaching me how to blow my nose. He would get a tissue or hanky, close the side of the nostril you don't need to clear out, and BLOW! Then clear out the other side the same way... try that, one side at a time. How in the world do you clear your head with all that gunk that gets in there? You have got to be miserable when you have a cold!

Susan said...

Its difficult to explain. Maybe I need to clarify- I can blow out of my nose- I've just never been able to blow anything out of my nose-- I'm trying not to be too gross. And Avery is the same way- we can stand and attempt to do it over and over with as much force as we can muster and nothing-ever.