Saturday, June 28, 2008

Down on the Farm





Yesterday we visited Chaney's Dairy Barn in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Thanks for the information and recommendation, Mandy! It was so much fun. My friend Dani and her son Walt were coming in from Atlanta for a visit with her parents so they decided to go with us. We met Saundra and her kiddos and everyone had a good time. We took the 'Moo Wagon" to the barn where Mr Chaney gave us a cow milking demonstration. The kiddos got to pet Ms Glimmer the cow and a month old baby calf. They also got to see some rabbits and goats. After that, we headed back to the Dairy Barn which is the gift shop/restaurant part of the farm and also where they have their cool little playground area.
The tour is $5 per person and you get a free scoop of Chaney's homemade ice cream at the end. Our tour was at 11am so we decided to eat lunch there. Let me just tell you, Chaneys is a hopping little place around lunch time. It took us a while to get through the line to order and a really long time to get our food but when we did, it was very yummy. After lunch, the boys went down to get their free ice cream. Avery got Wow Now Brownie Cow- chocolate ice cream with fudge and brownie pieces in it. Aidan picked out a flavor called Blue Moon undoubtedly because it was blue. I ended up finishing Blue Moon for Aidan and while it was yummy, can't quite say what it tasted like.
We finished our trip with some time on the playground. If you're looking for a fun little field trip, Chaney's Dairy Barn is it. On Saturday nights they offer free kids movies (they show them on the side of the barn). You bring lawn chairs, blankets, etc. I think its starts around 8:15pm. The coolest thing to me about Chaney's is that the whole family works there. They all pitch in. Mr Chaney drove the Moo Wagon and gave the demonstration. His daughter helped out on the wagon. And all of the Chaneys helped out at the restaurant. It truly is a family run business and it was refreshing to see a family working together so well.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you not get your free scoop???
Blue Moon is vanilla colored blue! It's all homemade ice cream too, very yummy.
I am glad you guys went and had a good time!! It is a fun little field trip. :)
Levi is already asking when we can go back!

Susan said...

How funny that its vanilla. My friend kept asking me what it tasted like and I guess I just didn't expect that it was vanilla and I kept saying- "I don't know." Ha!! It was so fun! Thanks again for the idea!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

We love Chaney's!!! So much fun!

Anonymous said...

HA! That is so funny!!!
My old boss is playing on your play list now! (Lee Greenwood)You don't know how many times I heard this song!!!