Sunday, June 8, 2008

Yesterday it was 94 degrees- the hottest day of the year and...

... we were camping in a tent. I hear all of you guys out there. I know what you're saying. "Are you crazy?" All I can say is that when we made the reservations for the campsite a month or so ago, we didn't think it would already be 94 degrees the first week of June. What is up with this heat- its gets hotter earlier every summer.
Despite the heat, Jim, the boys and I had a really good time. We went to Defeated Creek, a federal park a little past Carthage, TN. It was a nice park with several cool playgrounds for the kids, some sandy beach spots and roped off areas of the lake for swimming, and hiking trails. Our campsite had electricity hook up and water.
Now let me set the scene for you. We got there about 7pm Friday evening. Jim set up our four person tent except that to me, our tent should really be called a two person tent because the four of us were crammed in there like sardines. The boys played around and we went to bed. The public restrooms were a good walk away and Avery had to go to the potty twice in the middle of the night. I didn't feel good about walking alone with Avery to the potty so that meant at 12:30am, we woke Aidan up and all four of us trekked to the potty. At 3am I feel Avery poking me in the arm, "Mommy, I need to potty." This time, we just found a nearby tree and let him take care of business.
5am- the sun is peaking through the tent and our boys pop up. We were at the lake to swim at 7am! Jim and I had a running joke throughout the day. Because we had been up since 5am, I would periodically look over and ask him for the time. I would be certain it was noon and he'd say something like, "Susan, its 8am." If you know me, you know that I am very much a chlorinated, concrete, must be able to see what is touching my legs kind of girl when it comes to swimming. The thought of getting in the lake was a little frightening to me; however, when its already 85 degrees at 7:30am, the lake doesn't seem so bad. So, we spent a lot of time at the sandy beach swimming spot.
After spending all day in 90 plus degree heat with no escape, I threw in the towel. I told Jim that I just could not spend the night in that tent. So, we roasted some hot dogs and marshmallows, made our smores and headed out about 4:30pm(yes, that's a bit early for supper but when you've been up since 5am you go with it). At first the boys were upset and begged us to stay. Then, we found a tick on Avery's head and well, that pretty much did it for him- he was ready to hit the comforts of home. Aidan was asleep in his carseat before we even made it out of the park.
So, here we are this morning in our house with the air cranked up and lovin' it!! Thank the Lord for air conditioning!!!
Jim and I decided that we could NEVER do anything like the Survivor reality show. We'd be asking to be voted off about two hours after they dropped us in the remote location. We will probably give camping another try but I guarantee you it will be in the Fall!! :)

4 comments:

Catrina said...

THis sounds like me! I am not a big camper anymore especially in the heat!

Montee said...

I know it was probably miserable but this makes for fun memories. Camping in a tent in hot weather, whew! Been there done that!

Brea said...

Girl, you brought back some memories! Defeated...ah, Defeated...that's how we always felt while camping there growing up. Every time we went there it would pour...not rain, pour. It would rain so much that it would totally flood our tent and we would come home early.

Even though it was miserable, I still smile thinking about my mom and dad being ready to kill each other while we packed up at 3am in 2 ft of water to come home.

Glad you guys had a great time!

Tracy Brothers said...

Oh gosh! Jeff and I are taking the girls camping 4th of July week. Thankfully, we're meeting my sister and her husband and they have a huge brand new RV. We are planning to set up the tent and sleep in it but at least we have backup. Jeff and Annie set it up for practice in the backyard last week and slept in it. I could never camp in the rain though.