Monday, June 30, 2008

Turn Me In!

Seriously, somebody make the call. Maybe I should just turn myself in. Which one is better, What Not To Wear or How do You Like Me Now (at least I think that's the name of it)? Maybe I'm in such dire straits I need Extreme Makeover(I know they do the house show but do they do the other still?). I'm not sure when style went out the window for me. If I had to guess, it was about 7 years ago with the birth of my first child. I think I pulled myself back together for a short time after that and then went downhill again when the second one came along. (But you know if it was a choice between being fashionable and my sweet boys- I'd pick my boys every time) But I know it doesn't have to be a choice!
Do you know I can count on one hand how many times I've worn a skirt in the past year! I never really think to buy them. I am a stay at home mom to two boys and most of the activities we do just don't lend themselves well to wearing a skirt. The church we attend is very casual add that to the fact that Jim and I teach in a preschool class every other month and its all cropped pants and capris.
I also opt for comfort. I want to be fashionable and stylish but I'm just not willing to sacrifice comfort for that. There has to be a happy medium with style and comfort.
Little boys ages 7 and 3 don't like to shop. :) I just don't have a lot of time to shop for myself. I do most of my shopping online and while I enjoy doing it that way, I just don't think anything can take the place of actually being able to try it on and see yourself in it.
I'm conservative- I'm talking most of my closet is black, navy or brown conservative. :) I just don't have great fashion sense. I'm not a woman who can pick up a piece of clothing and walk around matching it with several other pieces. I'm a visual person and can't really see how things will look unless they are put together on a mannequin or a model in a catalog.
Maybe what I need is a personal shopper. That might be it exactly. I'm thinking I probably can't afford that- ha!
Ok- go ahead call the What Not To Wear People. I can see myself on video from their hidden footage where they follow people and tape what they are wearing. I'd be on film wearing my cotton gray shorts two sizes too big with my old washed out snoopy shirt. :) I can face the 360 degree mirror- I'm not a crier but somehow I think that might be my moment. :) I'm working on getting back in style so if you see me shopping walk on over and offer some assistance and if what I have in my hand is black, brown, or navy take it away from me!!!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

girl I am right there with you. do you think they would take both of us?! actually last year I decided that I too needed some help so i took my friend Katie with me and told her to make me try things on. I'm totally a jeans and T-shirt girl and would love to be a little more stylish. I still need help but it was good to have someone there to be honest with me. oh but guess what, I can't fit into any of those clothes this year :( so I'm back where I started. Oh the joy of being a girl! :):)

Anonymous said...

Oh my, you crack me up! I have already had my kid tell me that I need to be on that show! How sad is that, that my 8 year old has better fashion sense? Maybe you could turn a bunch of us out of date SAHMs in to some kind of makeover program :) You get it set up & I'll be there!

Anonymous said...

Susan I would love to help you but...we would be the blind leading the unfasionable. I do not know what my deal is either. I really want to dress good and look good but I am trying to also be modest at the same time (which is a new thing for me) and I do not know how to look cute and covered (got the cute and slutty thing down) anyway, we should hire someone (like Sarah Tippitt or J. White...trying to think of people who always look so put together) to help us out. I think my problem is also linked to the last 10 pounds that are hanging around since Jocelyn was born. But you will be glad to know I joined 1st Baptist and am going to try to get that off me!
Laura Frost

Anonymous said...

You can find comfort and stylish but it takes a litte time without kids hanging on you. :) I have had good luck with stuff from Kohls and B.Moss.
Most of the time when I dont like what I am wearing its not my clothes its been my body.
Your beautiful Susan and anything you put on looks great!
Vickie Moser