Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Frustrated


I'm just having one of those days, weeks, months! :) Do you ever have them? Where you feel like you are the worst parent? Like your children are going to need a lifetime of therapy to overcome how you parent? That is so where I am right now. I'm frustrated with my boys and they are driving me crazy- literally. I guess what frustrates me the most is that they are absolutely wonderful for everyone else. And they are good boys- don't get me wrong. They are just always so much better for everyone else than me.
And I know I shouldn't take that personally. But it does hurt my feelings. I am the one who provides for them, who takes care of most things for them yet I am the one they defy the most. I was just thinking- I wonder if this is how God feels about me? He is my provider. He loves me the most. And He is the one I defy the most.
I've been praying all morning that the Lord will help me be the mother He has called me to be to my boys. I know my patience is short and there are so many areas of parenting I need to work on. The Lord chose these boys for me. He blessed me with them. It is not a mistake that I am their mother.
I know we will make it through the defiance and the whining. I just pray that I'm not in a padded room by the time we get to the other side of it. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I SO understand how you feel and you are a WONDERFUL mom! You discipline your boys so well. You play with them. You have fun with them. You teach them and encourage them. One day (maybe many moons from now) they will thank you for that.

Cut yourself some slack, too. You're doing it solo this week and that's enough to make ANYONE crazy. You should go to Massage Envy tonight when Jim gets home. You deserve it!!! Or, if you want to go before I will keep the kids this afternoon. :) PLEASE take me up on it!

Montee said...

My two used to do the same with me. I think they test the mother more than the father. I wonder if it is because mothers have a different role than fathers in a child's life? The relationships are different. I was the one to apply more discipline because of Phillip being away so much for his job. It seems like they would have been more afraid of me than him. All Phillip had to do was give them "The Look." That really irritated me. My children would just keep on and on until I would become Linda Blair from The Exorcist. Your boys will test you now and when they are teens. Now that is a REAL fun time when the hormones are raging. Just know that one day they will realize what a wonderful mother you were to them as they were growing up. They pretty much know that now, but when they become young adults, they will appreciate it.

Susan said...

Montee- you crack me up!!! I laughed out loud at the Exorcist comment- because girl do I know what you mean!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Susan-
You are a wonderful, wonderful example of a Godly woman and especially Mom. Don't you discount that one bit! I think it is the nature of boys to be quite honest. Josh says they are totally different when it is just the 'boys'- they play on our emotions, and know how we work and how they can work us... Isn't that something? God definitely created us different than the male species, and that in itself is really hard to understand and something we'll never figure out. It is hard sometimes on us to get down on ourselves, but don't you give in- YOU WERE handpicked to be little Avery and Aidan's Mommy, and God knows that you were the right woman for the job. Just brace yourself, I don't think it's gonna get any better for us... the boys will grow and go... I savor all that lovin' I get now, and sweet words Levi says to me, b/c I know it won't be long before he doesn't want anything to do with his mama. You are so special Susan!

Catrina said...

You are a wonderful mother and I know that those boys will thank you when they get older. You know we all did the same things to our own parents :-) Take a deep breathe! I have those days already and Aleck is only 7 months old, LOL!

Heather said...

Oh girl , what a great post, well not what you are going through, but I am right there with you!! Andrew is great for everyone else, but me!! I don't get it, and it is so frustating and tiresome!! I am tired of having the same conversations with him, some days I could pull my hair out!! I will be praying for you!! hang in there girl!!!

Trovador said...

Desde Santa Fe - Argentina - Dios los bendiga. No se ingles, pero algo entiendo. Inot understand inglish, but, I comprendt no very much. Iam periodista. Me gustan los animales, en especial los gatos y perros. Tengo una hermosa familia, dos hijos y una esposa hermosa y brillante. Nos gusta hacer amigos en la distancia. Espero vuestra comunicaciĆ³n mi mail es trovadordecaminos@gmail.com
Dios los bendiga y guarde siempre
jose luis (trovador)