Friday, December 19, 2008

The Best Advice

What's the best piece of advice you've ever received and who gave it to you?

I've received some great advice in my life. If I had to narrow it down to the best, I'd have two selections.

1. Its easy to get your feelings hurt when everything is about you.

My past Sunday school teacher Mike Morris said this in one of his lessons and boy did that smack me right in the face. Ouch! But so very true and to this day if I am in a situation where I'm feeling targeted or hurt, I repeat that statement to myself.

2. The Lord wants us to love everyone but some people you have to love from afar.

Can I get an Amen?! I used to be the Queen of toxic relationships. The Lord does want us to love one another but when the people you interact with daily are negatively influencing your life, especially when it comes to your walk with the Lord, you got to love them from afar.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

both of those are GREAT pieces of advice! i think I'm going to have to tuck them away for later use.

The best advice I have received came through a relationship. Jeremy and I kept the nursery for almost 3 years with the same lady who poured her knowledge of raising kids into me. She told me things that worked things to do, things not to do, equipment that you need and some that you don't. She's mom, grandmother and has kept kids in her home for 30+ years...when she spoke i listened!! Now as I have my own kids her advice has been like gold.

Meredith said...

Best advice...from my momma..."Ignore ignorance."

and "God is always on time" from Bro. Johnny Carver

and "God gives you what you need right when you need it" from Sandy Stewart

Susan said...

Sarah- I bet you got a wealth of wisdom from the older lady in the nursery!

Meredith- my favorite of your is your momma's advice!! :)

Montee said...

My best advice was given to me by my dad before I got married and by an aunt before I married. My dad's was to never question my husband or nag him about every little thing. My aunt's, to never go to bed angry with each other.

I like the advice that you got. I tried to hammer #2 into my children's heads while they were young. I think they listened most of the time but sometimes they had to figure it out themselves.

Tracy Brothers said...

I love both of yours. One of the best pieces of advice I've ever gotten came from one of my mentors.

If you could be the perfect mom, your kids might never know they needed Jesus.