Thursday, December 18, 2008

Difficult Times

It is no secret that our country is going through difficult times. Its most noticeable for most in financial aspects. Its more noticeable for Christians in religious ones. Sadly, I see our country turning away from the very principals and beliefs that this nation was founded on. Its a scary time for our nation. Sometimes I'm overcome with worry about what the future holds for my children but then I'm reminded that it doesn't matter what the future holds because The Lord holds their future and that's all that really matters.
Its sad that during what is supposed to be such a joyous season, there are people who are going through the darkest, most uncertain times in their lives. So many friends and neighbors have lost their jobs and some even their homes. Here in the state of Tennessee, our governor has asked all state departments to cut their budgets by 15%. My husband works for the State and as I was talking to him on the phone this morning I realized that he could lose his job. He talked about being hopeful that only currently unstaffed open positions would be cut but he just wasn't certain. I worried about him having to let some of his staff go and what that would mean for their families as well.
I think what saddens me the most is that our government, the auto industry, the oil industry, you name it- they all have spent carelessly and lived frivolously in extravagance without any care or concern for those people who even made their gluttony possible- the working men and women of this country. So we have the big CEOs who make millions of dollars a year asking for bailouts for their companies. Big CEOs who make more in a month than most of us will make in a year or years, asking that Congress bail their company out because they have gone over their budget. Playing on sympathies, stating that if they do not receive bail out funds, many men and women will lose their jobs and their pensions.
So here we are paying the price. I'm not saying that we are totally blameless. Many of us have done the same things only on a smaller scale. Many of us have purchased homes knowing that we really couldn't afford them. Bought a better car or a bigger tv just because we wanted it even though we really couldn't afford it. In many ways its become the norm in our country to live way above one's means. When will we realize that "stuff" will not make us happy, that "stuff" does not make us better than others, and that "stuff" will not get us where we need to be in the end?
When did we lose sight of taking responsibility for our actions? Why can't that millionaire CEO be forced to put money back in his company to pay his workers, keep their pensions, and ensure his company stays afloat. Why can't we as citizens take responsibility for our actions. If we have a house we can't afford, we need to sell it and get in to one we can. If we own a car where the payment is crushing us, sell it. Let's let go of our pride and take responsibility.
I promise you I'm not preaching because I'll be the first to admit I've made some not so sound financial decisions in the past and I've spent years paying for them. But I did pay for them. Never once did it cross my mind to ask for a bailout. I didn't realize that was an option. I made those decisions and I took the consequences. Its what made me learn a better way.
So, how will big business ever learn a better way or even care about a better way if they never experience the consequences?
I would just ask you to join me in praying for our country. Pray for those that have lost their jobs or their homes. Pray for a better awareness of financial stability both in the individual citizen and in big industry. Pray that our country would get back to the principles it was founded on. Pray because prayer is strong and we pray to a mighty God who hears us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Susan!

Montee said...

I agree with you! I know an owner a Ford dealership and they have told me that Ford has been run horribly for years. We the people are supposed to pay for their mistakes?! My brother-in-law came over the other night. He works for a Canadian based company. They are about to cut salaries 20%, go to a 3 week/month work schedule and cut workers. The CEO flew down here from Canada last week. He rented a Lamborghini one day and a Ferrari the next, driving them up to the doors of his businesses, going in and giving the bad news to his employees. Now, I am all for making money and being successful, but when your company is having problems, do not live beyond your means. How can you look hard working employees in their eyes and tell them bad news with the smell of Lamborghini leather on your tush? I do hope your husband's job is not in jeopardy. I will pray so hard for all. I am afraid though that God is teaching us all a hard lesson. People will lose a lot, but we as Christians know we will be okay. This will be a time for us to do some work when we comfort those that do not know Him.