Monday, July 21, 2008

The Last Days of Summer

It is hard to believe that summer is almost gone. Not gone according to the season but slipping away quickly according to the school calendar. In just a few weeks school will swing back in to session full force. And while we've had a crazy, busy summer its a different kind of craziness compared to that of the school year.
Saturday night we took the boys to tour Station Camp Elementary. It's a new school and our subdivision has been rezoned there. From the moment I heard people talking about a new school I was apprehensive. Avery has always been a child who does not like change. He had such a great Kindergarten year (praise the Lord) and his first grade year last year was the same. He kept saying he wanted to stay at Jack Anderson. He knows Jack Anderson and to him it feels familiar and comfortable.
Jim and I have talked to him all summer about the new school. How most of his friends are going there too and many of the teachers as well. I've been praying for Avery and the school situation. And you know as He always does, the Lord takes care of His children.
Station Camp Elementary had a fundraiser event at the school Saturday night. It was the first time parents and children could tour the brand new school. It's a beautiful building. Its bright, the classrooms are huge compared to his old school. The gym is cool. The cafeteria is huge and even has what looks like a self serve island (just the right height for little ones). Avery was super excited about this- me- not so much. I just see a million little hands reaching in and touching all of the food. Lets just hope there is supervision at that self serve island or that they only put things wrapped on it for the little ones to get themselves.
Avery was so excited. We walked around with a couple of his friends from first grade. We saw a lot of people we knew as well as some of the teachers who came over from Jack Anderson. He left there ready to go back to school and can't wait to start second grade.
On a funny note, we toured all of the grade level classrooms. We were in a fourth grade class and the teacher was there answering questions. As we were walking toward the door, the teacher asked Avery if he would be one of her fourth graders in August. Jim and I laughed and told her that he was going in to second grade and that he was 7. Avery has always been a huge kid. He is already up to my shoulders so I can't even imagine what he'll be like at 9 or 10.
So, we are winding our summer down. We always try to take the boys on a little weekend trip before school starts just as a last bit of summer fun. This weekend we are heading to Great Wolf Lodge in Mason, Ohio. Its about 20 minutes out of Cincinnati. This hotel has a huge indoor water park inside the hotel. It looks pretty cool. We have heard good reviews about this particular one. Our babysitter moved there a few years ago. She babysat the boys for a little over a year and when she got married, she and her new husband moved to Cincinnati. She just had her first baby, little Aleck so we are going to get to meet him for the first time and visit with Ms Catrina a bit too.
I'm hoping to have some pictures up soon. In an earlier post I mentioned dropping our digital camera in the water. Well, it just never recovered. I got a new one last week but haven't had time to sit down and upload the software. Hopefully soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see and hear about the school year! It sounds super cool- how exciting to be in a brand new school! I always loved going into elementary schools, the look, feel, smell, everything is just so fun and exciting! I have one more year to hold on to my little one before sending him off, so I don't want to say I look forward to it yet- I know it will change everything!
You guys have a great trip~ stay safe and cool!

Catrina said...

Can't wait to see you this weekend!! I also commented on your blog titles. I am super excited for you too see Aleck!!

Glad Avery was happy about his new school and it sounds awesome!!