Saturday, July 12, 2008

Rest













Do you ever forget to do that? I know as a mother of young children the opportunity to rest does not come often enough. I find many times though that even when it does I ignore it. That is never more apparent than in the summer. For me, it is easier when our days are scheduled with people to play with and places to go. The boys enjoy our summer activities but even a good thing can be taken too far. This past week I think our crazy, action packed (as fun as its been) summer has caught up with us all. My wake up call came in the form of a meltdown in the middle of WalMart last night. Now meltdowns with Aidan are not all that uncommon (although I have to say the closer he gets to 4 the better he's doing with that) but when big brother joins in and it is an all out, point of no return, have to take them to the car episode, I know that I haven't taken those opportunities for rest.
So today we are hanging out. No where to go, no one to see, not a thing we have to do. We are resting in the coolness of our shade tree in the back yard. :) Don't laugh- its taken us almost 7 years to get that shade. Today I would encourage you to take your rest times when the opportunity arises. I am definitely going to work on recognizing my opportunities before we get too worn.

2 comments:

carriehayes said...

those pics are funny! i think you have inspired me to go take a nap! thanks!

Anonymous said...

thats some medicine or advice I need to take ,I never ever rest! I think also in todays world everything is so instant gratification that we think along those lines with everything, housework, chores, errands etc. We as a society have forgotten how to just slow down and enjoy that glass of lemonade or whatever and I think it all starts psychologically, our minds are trying to remember everything from your friends bday, your aunts party, someone graduation, someone is having a baby and you need to cook a dinner, your mom will be mad if you dont call her back again! There is just too much going on and why?? WE are all spoiled with telehphones etc. I almost wish some times that we lived back in the 1800's when life was hard but you still enjoyed the simple things like Sunday get togethers with family. Sorry to run on here.
:)
Vickie Moser