Monday, July 7, 2008

Let's Go To The Movies

Each year I struggle to come up with a reasonable (reasonably priced that is) birthday party destination. We used to have the boys' parties at home and those were always a lot of fun but also a lot of work. It was the cheaper option too. A couple of years ago we broke away from having them at home. We've done Kids Party Jumps (with inflatables) and the skating rink. In my opinion the skating rink was extremely affordable compared to other options.
This will be the first year that we have Aidan's away from the house. Always wanting to be like his big brother, he asked to have his at the skating rink too. I decided that 10-15 three and four year olds on roller skates may not be the most fun- especially for the parents who have to walk around the rink holding their hands the entire time.
Someone suggested having the party at the movie theater. Great idea, especially since Aidan's birthday is in August and being outside in August in Middle Tennessee is just plain HOT! I contacted Regal Cinemas here in Hendersonville and was blown away. I'm going to give you the breakdown. This may be useless information for a lot of you but I wanted to share just in case any of you here in Hendersonville or the surrounding areas were thinking about this option.
To have a birthday party at Regal Cinemas Indian Lake here in Hendersonville the cost is as follows:
Rent the party room $50.00
Per Guest: $15.25
The cost per guest gives the guest a movie ticket, kids combo meal (popcorn, drink, and skittles) and a tour of the projector room
For 15 guests grand total: in the range of $280
What????!!!!!
So, I scrapped that idea that is until I was talking to my neighbor and she suggested I check with NCG Movie theater in Gallatin. I have to say that I didn't get my hopes up. I had resigned myself to the fact that having a birthday party at a movie theater was not for us. I did call to check and here's the breakdown:
Rent the party room: FREE
Per Guest: $8.75
The cost per guest gives the guest a movie ticket, kids combo meal (popcorn, drink, skittles), and free drink and popcorn refills. You must have a minimum of 10 guests
For 15 guests grand total: $131.25
That's a huge difference. The key to finding a good date for your party is to log on to fandango.com and check their movie calendar. It offers you release dates for upcoming movies months in advance. This way you can be sure there will be an appropriate movie (for us that would be a G movie) showing on the day of your party.
If this is the option we go with, we'll definitely be doing it at the Gallatin theater. :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, that's a huge difference!

Anonymous said...

WOW! Thanks for the information- this is good to remember. That would be a lot of fun!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Wow!! That is a huge difference. What a fun idea! :) I bet he will have a blast!

Sarah said...

I LOVE the Gallatin theater. I'm sure you'll have a blast and I may just have to do this for Gracie's birthday too!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

We've done Kassidy and Kameron's birthday parties at the movies too... fortunately there is ALWAYS a new cartoon that comes out the weekend of their birthday... I don't know why, but it works for us! haha That first quote is craziness, I'm glad you shopped around!

ChelleBelle said...

Sounds like fun!!! We're still doing the at-home parties for the kids - we're considering a sleepover for Lauren this year. Yikes!

Susan said...

Hi Mommy to those Special Ks,
I'm assuming since you guys have done the movie theater party more than once that you liked it. How old are your kiddos that you did it for? Aidan will be 4. He's been going to the movies for a long time now but I know a lot of parents wait a while to take their kiddos to movies.

Tracy Brothers said...

What a great thing! I had no idea. I'll have to write a post about birthday party ideas and cost for isurfsumner.com but this is also a great idea for my Annie. I have to check it out!