Thursday, July 3, 2008

To Pool Or Not? That is the Question


The boys had swimming lessons at our friend Leslie's house. She has a really nice pool with a built on deck. The boys loved going there and they love swimming whether its at someone's house or at the Y. Every day after lessons, Avery would say something like, "I sure wish we had our own pool like Ms. Leslie." And I thought to myself, I sure wish we did too. How nice would it be to just walk out your back door and hop in the pool just whenever? As much as we'd love to have an inground pool, that just isn't in our budget even in the near future. We have been thinking about an above ground one though.
I know some of you out there have pools or you grew up with one, let me know your thoughts. Jim and I didn't grow up with a pool so we really are at a loss when it comes to the expense of one and the maintenance. Is all the work and expense worth the convenience and fun?

7 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

It IS expensive and a lot of work... but oh man, it's totally worth it!!! My mom has a pool and my kids LOVE it! We are over there all the time... it's GREAT exercize for us adults, too!

Anonymous said...

I vote for you getting a pool! :) Can I come over as soon as you get it up?!! ha ha. We had an above ground when I was growing up & I always remember my Dad acting like it was a little bit of a pain... but that was 30 years ago! My friend has one of those plastic bag kinds & they loved it. Their dog would run up the side & jump right in!

Anonymous said...

I would say yes get a pool but wait until you move to where you will stay so that you can get that in the ground pool. Or do what I did just move to a neighborhood where there is a community pool, no cost to you really and no liability. :)
Vickie Moser

Audrey said...

I'm so paranoid about pools but since your boys are older I'm sure it would be safe, so I vote "go for it!"

Jennifer said...

Marc wants a pool so bad, but the expense and time involved keeps him from committing. Our community is building one so we probably won't for awhile. Our neighbors have one of the salt water ones and I'm convinced it's the way to go if we ever get one. Not salty like the ocean, no chlorine smell or filminess, and it doesn't fade your suit. It's also a lot less expensive to maintain. I think if you're staying there for awhile, go for it! Just be sure to invite us over! :)

Anonymous said...

What did you guys decide? I see I'm a little behind on commenting.

Susan said...

We decided not to pool right now. :) We would really LOVE to have an inground pool and since that is just not in our budget we decided to wait until it is. :)