Saturday, August 30, 2008

Breaking Up is Hard To Do


Divorce is hard. I haven't experienced it first hand in my life but just know from others' experience the devastation it can bring for the husband and wife and for the children. I remember being so sad when my brother told us that he was leaving his wife. I had an awesome sister in law.
I think what was most sad about the situation is that my sister in law would have gone to any length to save her marriage. She wanted to work on the issues. She begged my brother to try counseling before giving up on their marriage. In the end, my brother refused, turned his back, and walked out on his wife and son. I don't pretend to know the intricacies that went on in their marriage. I realize I don't know the entire story. Its not my place to judge.
What I do know is that it broke my heart. Just the realization that we would never be a "family" in the sense that we had been. That my time spent with my nephew would most likely be a lot less because of simple logistics. I prayed frequently for my brother, for Vickie and Will. I prayed diligently up until the divorce was final that my brother's heart would be softened and that he would try to work things out.
I realize that not all marriages can be saved. I fully understand that. There are circumstances that cannot be changed. I just feel like my brother owed it to his wife and child and to his Lord to at least try. I'm not in his position and I haven't considered divorce but I would pray if that ever crossed my mind that my first inclination would be to seek God and then seek help. I have to believe that I would try everything out there to save that precious bond. Again, I know there are situations that cannot be worked out. And I know that one spouse can't save his/her marriage without the willingness of the other.
So, we've made it work. When my mom was living, we got to see Will quite frequently on the weekends that my brother had him because my brother was living with my mom. And we were always able to call Vickie who was always open to us coming to her house to visit or her and Will coming to our house. I am so very thankful for her attitude. So very thankful for her willingness to keep us connected. And I am thankful for those times that we get to visit with her and Will then and now.
Vickie and Will came to grill out with us last Saturday. It was a relaxed evening with the boys playing and Jim and I getting a chance to catch up with Vickie. I am amazed at how she handles being a single parent. She has had some tough things happen in the past few years with the loss of her mother, taking care of her father , and the loss of him too. You would never know what hardships she's been through. She is always positive and always has a smile on her face.
She will always be a part of my family. I love her like a sister. Thank you Vickie for loving us.

1 comment:

Montee said...

Divorce is a very tough thing. I believe whenever couples divorce, they think they will be the only two emotionally involved. They are greatly mistaken. The heartbreak of divorce not only is felt by the couple and their children, but also spreads through the extended family and friends. I am so glad that you are still on good terms with your ex-sister-in-law and your nephew. I am sure that she greatly appreciates your love and support.