Friday, August 1, 2008

We've Got Spirit- Yes We Do!



Hunters Lane Comprehensive High School - Home of the Warriors- Class of 1989!!!
Yes, that was 89. :) I just got an e-mail from one of our senior class officers and my twenty year high school reunion is scheduled for June 2009. 20 years people!!
I have been out of high school for almost 20 years. Wow- now that really puts things in to perspective. I have now been out of high school longer than it took me to complete elementary, middle and high school all together. I am that person, that thirty-something my friends and I would talk about and marvel at how OLD it is to be thirty. Well, to be truthful I'm now closer to forty (ahhh!).
I have to say that all in all I enjoyed high school. As I was reading the e-mail about our class reunion, the memories came flooding back. I know some of you may find this hard to believe but I was really nerdy in high school. :) I was very focused on my grades. There were a group of about 10 of us who were just compulsive about it. In the end tenths of points separated four of us from valedictorian.
I see all the high school movies and tv shows today and they all have such a separation of groups. Not that high school isn't like that but I have to say that even though I was very much a nerd, I had friends from all different groups.
I was very quiet (I know another shocker). I found out about halfway through high school that some people thought I was snobby. If you know me, you know that is way far from the truth. I also found out the reason was that in the hallway between classes, people would wave at me from across the hall and I wouldn't acknowledge them. I was blind people and it just wasn't cool back in my day to be sportin' glasses. So, I only wore my glasses when I absolutely had to in class.
It was the 80's and we all know what the hair looked like back in the day. BIG! The bigger the better and spiral perms were hot! If you haven't seen my hair let me fill you in. Its stick straight and very fine- not conducive to spiral perm and BIG. Did I let that get in my way of attempting big hair- of course not. I'll have to scan my senior picture in. I'm sure everyone could use a good laugh!
I remember being devastated because the boy I was going out with asked another girl to our junior prom. And didn't tell me. I had to find it out from our boss at Baskin Robbins! Our prom theme that year, along with many other high schools I'm certain, was "I've had The Time of My Life." Because nobody puts Baby in a corner. :) And our senior prom just got better with Debbie Gibson's "Lost In Your Eyes."
I remember my friend Jim (who is now an aeronautical engineer) in just utter dismay because his lab partner Amanda was the only person in physics to get the torque concept. (I told you I was nerdy.)
I remember my friend Robby trying to whisper to me in class that he had applied self tanner the night before and couldn't get the orange off his hands. About the time he was whispering it to me, our English teacher Ms Eldridge came by and because I kept asking him to repeat it (he was whispering very low), announced to the whole class what he had said. I don't think Robby ever turned around to tell me anything in her class again.
I remember really liking this guy in the ninth grade. My friend Melissa and I developed a code name for him so if our notes were ever intercepted, the secret would be safe and "Edgar" wouldn't know.
I remember cassette tapes, Friday Night Videos (what can I say- my dad wouldn't let us get cable for the longest), VHS, big hair, Dirty Dancing, Top Gun, and Bon Jovi. It was the 80's!!
But mostly I remember my friends, my really close friends and all of the good times we had. I still keep in touch with those people- Melissa, Dani, Jim, Amanda... I will be most excited to spend some time with them because even though we keep in touch, we hardly ever see each other. I'm also looking forward to catching up with some good friends I've lost touch with and just seeing everyone. I just pray the next twenty years pass a little slower.

5 comments:

Meredith said...

Friday Night Videos ROCKED!! There was another one on TBS on the weekends and I can't remember its name. Do you?

Jennifer said...

Man, the song and the pictures really take me back! It does not surprise me about almost getting valedictorian. You're very smart! Anyway, thanks for the ride down memory lane.

Susan said...

Ok- Meredith - you know my daddy and we were about the last people in the United States to get basic cable so I didn't have TBS. :)I only had Friday night videos which came on way too late!!
Too bad we didn't go to high school together- we'd have been best buds then too!! :)
Thank you Jennifer you are so sweet.

Anonymous said...

I have my 20 yr next month at Bluegrass Country Club, the only thing I hate is that it costs $65 per person to go. I am not sure if I want to go or not. Most would say go and I probably will but graduating from Gallatin is a different ballgame, thats all I will say. Its cool to look back and hear the sounds of the 80's sure takes us back to a time of not worrying a lot and just having fun with our friends. Not to mention the big hair! Man I could show you some photos. My favorite movie form the 80's is The Breakfast Club! It still makes me laugh like I am watching it for the first time. Too funny
Vickie Moser

Anonymous said...

by the way Susan where is the Billy Idol music?