Saturday, April 26, 2008

I Saw The Light...

Dr. Robert P. Selkin MD
and the trees and the sky and read the roadsigns and can see the tv and... I could go on and on and on and believe me I want to; however, I'll refrain. :) Yesterday I had lasik eye surgery and can I just tell you it is the most amazing process. For those of you who have never worn corrective lenses, be it glasses or contacts, this probably isn't very exciting. I have had some type of corrective lenses since the 4th grade. I'm certain I needed them before then. I remember exactly what it felt like when I first put my glasses on (gasp) 27 years ago. Its as if the world came alive to me at that very moment. I never realized how crisp and colorful everything was until then.
Yesterday I walked in to Selkin Laser Center at 1pm and at 2:30 I walked out seeing without any type of corrective lenses whatsoever!! Surgery time- 8 minutes. I have to admit I was a little nervous when I went into the room. I have to tell you the staff and Dr Selkin himself were wonderful- so kind and caring. They walked me through every bit of the process and made me feel very comfortable about a laser cutting my cornea. Now I've had other friends who've had it done and they got a valium before the procedure to calm them a little. I don't know if I looked particularly strong and together (I wasn't) or if Dr. Selkin's office just doesn't offer that but I went in with nothing. I have to admit it was a little unnerving. My biggest concern you would think would be that my eye was being cut, but no I was most concerned about those eye prongy things that they insert to keep your eyes open. Turned out not to be an issue. For a split second as the laser is doing its thing, you lose your vision in that eye- now that is freaky. Then slowly your vision starts to come back- very blurry but yes people I actually saw-- I SAW- I saw Dr. Selkin pulling back the flap he had created in my cornea. Now my friends who got the valium say they don't really remember a lot about the procedure. I have to say that if I had to have it done again, I'd ask for some valium. :) Jim's going to get it done also in a few weeks and he's already said he plans to ask for something to take the edge off.
So my eyes were a little blurry and irritated the rest of the evening but other than that not really much discomfort. The worst part of it is that you have to wear these protective goggles at night so you don't rub your eyes. You wear those for 7 nights and if last night is indicative of how well I'm going to sleep with them then I'm in for a long seven nights.
I have to say if you have corrective lenses and have ever thought about lasik I would definitely recommend it. Thanks to my friend Lori who registered Jim and me in a contest, Jim and I were able to purchase the lifetime plan at a very discounted rate. Should we ever need any corrections over our lifetime, those procedures will be free.
Praise the Lord I can see!!!! :)

8 comments:

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Woohoo!! Congrats on being able to see!! We need to talk about how much this cost because I keep hearing the ads on the radio. Bobby would love to get it done. :) I am so excited for you!

Montee said...

I would DEFINITLY need the Valium! My daughter wants to get this done when she graduates from college.

Susan said...

I have to say it was definitely worth it. Call me Karen or we can talk at Bunco in a few weeks- Bobby should definitely do it! :)
Montee- it would make an awesome college grad present!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey glad to hear you had it done. I did not know you was planning on having it done. See I had my done by Loden Vision about 3 or 4 yrs ago and I have loved it ever since. I was a glasses/contacts wearer since 2nd grade. But I had the valium to relax me. Not had any problems since either, knock on wood.

Susan said...

How long did it take you before you felt like you were seeing as well as you should, Lavinia? I can see but sometimes things are still a bit blurry from time to time especially when I'm driving. I'm worried about that- I go back in a week to get my eyes checked so I guess I'll see then.

Anonymous said...

I can't really remember but I remember I had a lot of trouble with that too. I believe they told me it would take about a week to 2 weeks and then gradually it would get better. And it did. Then every year in Feb when I would go for my yearly check-up everything was still good and no stigmatism as of last year Feb, I have not gone this year for a check-up yet. But I can tell since last year my vision is seeming like it was right after I had the surgery done, blurry from time to time and at night time. I hope nothing has changed cause I did not renew my yearly thing in February cause the dr at Loden Vision said that since it has been like 2 or 3 yrs he did not see that I should renew it and thought I would be ok now. It was one on the renewal things where you pay $75 and it is a retreatment plan to where is there was any thing needed touching up that it would not cost me a whole lot out of pocket. I am afraid when I go back something will be wrong and I will not have my retreatment plan. But all has been good till now. But I would recommend it to everybody to have it done. And the protective eye wear to wear afterwards, those things are the ugliest things. I hated wearing them.

Tracy Brothers said...

How exciting! I'm so happy for you! Keep us updated. I have to say, the picture you included of the doctor totally cracks me up. I don't know why.

Susan said...

Yeah- me too Tracy. He was featured in some magazine and they proudly display him on the cover at the check in desk. It cracks me up because it looks like a models head shot for a portfolio or something.