Monday, April 21, 2008

Would You Like some Cheese with that Whine?


Somehow I feel like I need to start this post with a disclaimer. I love my boys so much that I can't even put it in to words. I need you to remember that as you're reading. That being said, I'm not loving being around Aidan these days. He's three- for some of you that statement alone sums it up. Some of you are or have been where I am. You're lollygagging along just whisking your way through the twos thinking, "I don't know what people are talking about- two is not so bad." and WHAM!! Three just smacks you down. All of a sudden you look at your precious little one and expect that any moment his or her little head is going to start spinning around.
This is where I am with Aidan. I can't really say I wasn't expecting it- three was definitely more challenging than two with Avery also. But even so, I just don't remember Avery being as head strong, stubborn, deliberate. And I really don't remember the whining being this severe. I don't know- maybe God just clears your memory of things like that or lessens the intensity of them. Its kind of like in that movie with Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones (the name escapes me at the moment) where they are chasing aliens and if civilians see the alien, they pull out this device that flashes a blinking light and people's memories are erased.
Everything is a major life, fall down in the floor, scream and cry crisis.
I know- I know- this too shall pass. For now, we are taking a no tolerance stand on the whining. Jim and I have suited up and we're ready for battle. So if we're playing with you and I pick Aidan and up and calmly leave (you know he won't be calm) please know that we had fun, thank you for asking us to play, visit, meet you at the mall, etc. Maybe one day we will once again be able to have complete conversations and stay for a while. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) We love playing with you even when you have to leave!

Susan said...

Thanks Ashley. :) Thanks for hanging in there with us ugly whining and all.

Montee said...

Susan, we went through this too. When the two's arrived it wasn't bad at all. I thought, "Why do people talk so much about the Terrible Two's? There's no big deal here!" Then the "Tiranical Three's" came along. Oh my goodness! The next several years will be cruising along and then come the "Satanical Sixteen's." With Britnee I thought I was living with Linda Blair from "The Exorcist." Now Brett is 16 and he is a male having PMS(Pre-Manly Syndrom) almost daily. At least all I have had to put up with is the moodiness and believe me I am thankful. It would shock a lot of you what teenagers are into these days.It blows my mind. Anyway, like you said, "This too shall pass." Hold on for the ride.

Tracy Brothers said...

I know exactly where you're coming from. The threes were much worse than the twos for us as well.

Meredith said...

Just remember that Aidan's female version is doing the same thing! How these two kids ended up so much alike is spooky. We've just got to make it to FOUR...hopefully both of them will calm down by then. If not, at least we can do our own whining & moaning together. :)

Aidan,
Aunt Meri thinks you never whine and are the most precious little boy. xoxoxo :)