Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Medium


Not the size but the occupation. Have you ever seen the show Medium on NBC? Patricia Arquette plays a character (supposedly based on a real life lady) who has dreams and visions and can communicate with people who have died. I know that what I've just described to you is tv but there are plenty of real people who believe they possess this ability. From the palm readers at the carnival all the way to the psychic mediums who have parlayed their ability into world wide success, telling the future and communicating with the dead is a popular thing these days.
One of the more well known psychic mediums is John Edward. He's written books, has tv shows, and does readings in front of live audiences around the world.
For a while after my mom passed away, I thought very seriously about contacting a medium. I searched online and found several people in and around Nashville who call themselves mediums. I never made an appointment with any of them. I have to admit that part of the reason is that most of the people in an around Nashville that I found looked weird-scary weird. I kept thinking if I could only find one that looked normal like the clean cut John Edward, I might feel better about going. I know a huge part of my uneasiness about going was that I just really don't know what the Bible says about this issue. Did God give some of us these kind of abilities? And if so, why just some of us- why not everyone? Or, is this not from God? He offers us the promise that when people die in Christ, we will be reunited with them in Heaven. Is this promise supposed to be enough? God gave me ample time to really talk with my mother- I had 35 years with her here on Earth. I can't blame God or anyone else if things were left unsaid. Another point of contention was that I'm not sure I even believe people have these abilities.
In the end, I decided that my uneasiness about the whole thing was God's way of telling me that I didn't need to do this. I think in that period of time right after my mom passed, my grief was so intense that I started looking to anything to help the pain- I should have looked to God first and while I did make my way around to Him eventually, He should have been my first stop.
So, there are so many of you (and I just love it!!) that are so familiar with the Bible that you can hear a topic and just hand out the scripture. I would love to know what the Bible says about this subject. What do you think about it?

7 comments:

Montee said...

Susan,
I have wondered about this too. Are there really people that can see to the "Other-side?" I don't really think so but they can be convincing. When we lived in Clarksville, I would sometimes watch the Channel 4 noon show with Sharon Puckett. Sharon is my second cousin. I don't know her real well because of my parent's divorce but I did spend time with her mother, May. May was my grandfather's sister. A "Medium" came on Channel 4. He was that other famous guy, not John Edward. I can't think of his name. Anyway, Sharon's daddy had passed on and this "Medium" told Sharon he could try to talk to her father. He said her father heard Aunt May talking to him in their rose garden whenever she was walking. He said to tell Aunt May that he hears her, loves her and he is fine. This brought tears to Sharon's eyes. How could this man have known of Aunt May talking to her deceased husband in the garden? I don't know, but this guy did sound convincing. I can't provide off the top of my head, any scripture dealing with this issue. Maybe someone else can.

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan said...

You are so right- they can be convincing. Wow- that story brought tears to my eyes so I can imagine your cousin Sharon after hearing that trying to hold herself together on tv. Maybe some of the others can share some scripture with us on this issue.

Anonymous said...

Biblegateway.com is a great place to start.

Lev. 19: 31 " 'Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God.

Lev. 20:6 " 'I will set my face against the person who turns to mediums and spiritists to prostitute himself by following them, and I will cut him off from his people.

Det. 18: 9-13 9 When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. 10 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in [a] the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, 11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. 12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you. 13 You must be blameless before the LORD your God.

A sister in Christ.

Susan said...

Wow anonymous- thank you for sharing this scripture. The Bible certainly doesn't mince words about this topic. I appreciate your willingness to share this.

Tracy said...

Susan,
Hey there. I don't have much time here but I did want to give you some bible addresses to look up. The Bible is VERY clear on this topic.
Exodus 22:18, Lev 19:26 19:31,20:6 Deu. 13:1-5, 18:10, Jeremiah 27:9, 2 kings 21:3-6, 17:17, Isaiah 47:9-end of chapter

HOpe these help!
Tracy

Susan said...

Tracy
Thank you for giving me the scriptures to look up. I appreciate it.