Monday, April 28, 2008

Life with Boys


When I tell people I have two little boys the most frequent response is, "Don't you wish you'd had a girl?" I'm certain women who have girls get the other end of that question. I know little girls are fun and sweet and of course I would have been happy if God had blessed us with one; however, I have to say I LOVE my boys. I know I'm missing out on all of the cool girl clothes and sometimes I think it might be nice to have some Barbies or some pink in our house but little boys have fun, cool stuff too.
I mean who else can put the words poop or poopy in front of any other word and amuse themselves non-stop?
In what other company can passing gas be so hysterical?
I bet many of you are not aware of just how many superheroes there are out there?
Only with boys do you get to be surprised every single time you walk in the bathroom. (its apparently very difficult to aim)
Yeah, you can have a princess party but you miss out on puke green colored icing for a Shrek party or black icing for a Darth Vader Star Wars party
And oh the trips to the ER because they broke their hand wrestling with daddy or almost knocked their front teeth out by running full force into the back of their friends head.
And who else can rile up everyone else's kids in 0 to 60.
Don't forget the creative thinking- who knew that a hanging picture frame could be used like a ladder or that a ceiling fan could propel you if you hooked a hanger on to it while jumping from the couch (ok I can't claim that one- that's a shared story from my friend)
Ok- I am being funny (although every single bit of the above is true). In all sincerity I LOVE my sweet boys- every high energy, spirit filled, superhero lovin', poopy head callin', ER visiting inch of them. And I love my biggest boy (Harve, Jim, Jimmy) too. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you live so close...in a small way I've had the opportunity to "have" boys, too! We love the light sabers (sp?), wrestling matches, bumper cars (aka- Barbie Jeeps) and all the fun we can only have playing with your boys! Come over and get your fill of pink anytime! :)

Susan said...

We love you guys! I consider Kinsey (Meredith's little girl), Adeline and Selah "my girls" too. :) There we go- the best of both worlds!!

Sarah said...

I am so glad you posted this. I have really been trying to imagine lately what in the world I'm going to do with a little boy. We have the girl thing down and it just seems so strange to throw a boy into the mix. Yes girls can be fun but they are also expensive! Just imagine the bows, matching shoes, jewelry, etc. and that doesn't include the same items for the dolls.

I love reading the stories about your boys....now I know who to call when I need advice!!

Montee said...

I have a boy and a girl. I love them both dearly. Girls are much more expensive and the DRAMA! Britnee ,my 19 year old, was and still is at times, such a Drama Queen. I even bought her a T-shirt when she was younger with "Drama Queen" on it. Middle School and High School are the worst times for drama. I can't remember being that dramatic when I was that age. Brett is more laid back. There's not too much that bothers him, he can take it or leave it. The only thing that bothers him is when the Tarheels lose in basketball.

Susan said...

Call me anytime Sarah. :) I'm not sure how good my advice is but I'm sure I can always offer an empathetic ear. I know your sweet little boy that will arrive soon will fit into your family perfectly. :)
I have heard Montee that teenage years are harder where girls are concerned. I hope my two boys are as laid back as your son. :)

Anonymous said...

We all love our only girl too!~!!!