Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Forgiveness

We were challenged in our MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group to focus on one word for the upcoming new year. I have read so many inciteful posts from ladies (Sarah, Ashley, Carrie) and was really inspired to do this. Its a bit overwhelming for me to pick one word- there are so many areas in my life I need to work on. This past year has been a struggle for me both emotionally and spiritually. Looking back it feels like a year where I just went through the motions.
My word for 2008 is forgiveness. Every year Jim takes the boys out shopping and he lets them pick out a gift for me. I always laugh at him because most times, he just lets them pick whatever they want, not really steering them toward something I might actually like.:) But its always sweet to see what the boys choose. This year my sweet Avery picked out a book for me. Jim said he walked over picked it up and said this is what he wanted to get mommy. That book is, "Get Out of that Pit" by Beth Moore.
Ok- we all know that Beth Moore is phenomenal but I don't need a book about getting out of a pit. That's what I was thinking as I unwrapped it, as I put it on the book shelf and last night as I pulled it off the shelf and began reading. And guess what? I need a book about getting out of a pit.
In the first few chapters she talks about forgiveness. Forgiving those who hurt you whether intentional or not as well as forgiving yourself. And we all know that forgiving yourself is so much more difficult. Beth Moore had some very powerful things to say about forgiveness.
  • Its a tough thing to do, but we've got to forgive, even- no ESPECIALLY - those who don't care to be forgiven.
  • I thought forgiving... would make what happened all right. But, to be sure, it didn't. Still isn't. What I didn't understand about forgiveness was that it would make ME all right.
  • When we won't forgive, the people we often want to be around the least because they've hurt us so badly are the very people we take with us emotionally everywhere we go. (WOW!)

My one word is forgiveness. Starting with myself. Not just saying it but really willing it- doing it.

I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put trust in the Lord.

Psalm 40:1-3

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The boys enjoy picking out things for you. In fact they already have already told me what they wanted to get you for Mother's Day!! I love you!! They always want to pick out something special for the "Best Mommy in the Whole World".

Love you!
Harve

Anonymous said...

Hey wow, good points. I think I could do some reading there. Maybe I'll borrow it when you get finished! :) I really liked the last point about carrying those people everywhere we go! I'm praying for you right now in your year and all you'll learn! Can't wait to hear!

Susan said...

Hey Sarah! I would love to pass it on to you when I'm done. I appreciate your prayers!! I'm gonna need them. :)

Susan said...

Hey Sarah! I would love to pass it on to you when I'm done. I appreciate your prayers!! I'm gonna need them. :)

Anonymous said...

I'd love to read that, too. I haven't read it yet, but I heard her speak on it and it was amazing!