Monday, January 14, 2008

Just One of Those Things You Can't Believe You Did


Mornings are crazy in our house- packing lunches, getting everyone ready, teeth brushed, breakfast, backpacks, homework, and getting out the door by a certain time. Sometimes I feel like by the time I step out of the door, I've done a full days work already! It doesn't help that I have two of the biggest (and I don't even know if this is a word and if it is if I'm even spelling it correctly) dawdlers to ever grace the planet. How can it take 15 minutes to get from the front door of our house into our car and ready to pull out of the driveway??

Last week I got us all ready, Avery out the door to the bus and Aidan ready to walk out the door with me. I had to take food to MOPS so I had a hot casserole dish that required I carry it with both hands. So here Aidan and I go- Aidan with nothing and me with a backpack on my back, a lunch box, my purse, car keys, and a hot casserole dish out the front door to get in the car. I drop Aidan off at Mothers Day Out and I head to MOPS. I have a nice relaxing couple of hours with a great group of ladies. Hop in my car and head home. As I'm pulling down my street I notice my front door is open- wide open! My first thought is, "Someone has broken in my house!!" I park the car in the driveway and call my husband on my cell phone. I tell him that our front door is wide open. He says, "Well don't go in." and I tell him I have to because I don't want to call the police if there isn't anyone in there right now. So, I tell him if I don't call him back in 5 minutes then he needs to call the police. I walk in and start looking around. I notice that the computer we haven't hooked up yet is still in the front room and at this point I think if someone had broken in then they definitely would have taken that first. But, I'm still a bit nervous. I call my husband back to tell him I'm in the house and there doesn't appear to be anything missing. I keep him on the phone while I walk and check under every bed, in every closet and in the bathrooms. Nothing and no one and nothing is missing. Then as I'm walking back to close the front door the memory of my morning comes back. I remember thinking while I was standing at the front door loaded down like a pack mule with a hot casserole in hand, "I'll put Aidan in the car along with all the other stuff and then come back and close the door." Can you believe that I left the front door wide open from 8:45am-12:30pm!!! And no one came in not even a stray dog or wild animal!! I am so thankful that everything was all right and I have to tell you that I feel like I live in a pretty safe neighborhood! :)

7 comments:

carriehayes said...

that is funny! i know the feeling when i forget to close my garage door...i bet the front door is 10 times worse! glad everything was ok!

Brea said...

I have done things like this a million times. Can't find my keys? Oh guess what...there in the ignition in the car in the driveway where they have been overnight. You're right...thank goodness we live in a safe neighborhood!

Audrey said...

Susan- You look beautiful!

Susan said...

Oh Audrey- thank you for saying that. I needed that positive boost this morning. :) I'm an immediate gratification kind of person and I'm wondering when this exercise thing is going to pay off-weight wise. :)

Audrey said...

what? seriously, how much are you wanting to lose? you really do look great and in shape!

Susan said...

You are so sweet Audrey. I haven't really set a number for myself as far as weight loss- more than anything I'd like to tone up and just feel good in my body again- if that makes any sense. :)

Chris McManaman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.