Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Worn


I'm feeling very worn these days. Its not a physical tiredness although sometimes it can be. Its more of an emotional fatigue. Do you ever feel that some days it seems as if all you do is fend off attacks? Attacks coming from those sometimes you hold most dear? I even feel like I attack myself. I know I can be my own worst enemy at times.
I have struggled the past few weeks not to be defensive. I so have a tendency to make everything about me when I'm feeling worn down. Its easy to get your feelings hurt when you think everything is about you. My perception changes and instead of viewing things with a loving heart I start to see them with an accusatory one. I hear myself in conversations, questioning every thing or bringing up oppositional points just for the sake of argument.
It usually takes me a while to see what I'm doing- denial can be a powerful thing. Inevitably, my eyes are opened to my behavior and that's when I know to look inward. While the attacks may be real or perceived, the reason for my knee jerk reaction to them has nothing to do with the person who made them and everything to do with my uneasy spirit.
I am wrestling with what I need to do in my life. I spent most of 2006 and the early part of 2007 taking care of my mother and it was a crazy season in my life. It left little time for anything else (and I don't mean that negatively- I'd do it again all over). Next month it will have been a year since her passing and I still haven't figured out what I need to be doing with my time now. I did decide that this would be a healthier year for me physically. But for some reason focusing on myself feels for lack of a better word selfish. Logically I know its not but it does feel that way for me.
In the past few weeks I've had several people say things to me that have really hit deep. Things that I typically would have allowed to roll off my shoulders but because I am questioning myself, particularly my role right now, I could feel the tension and defensiveness rising with each hit. I saw someone last week that I went to high school with and haven't seen probably since graduation. She asked me what I was doing now and I told her I was a stay at home mom. Her first comment to that was, "Didn't you go to college?" followed by "But you were so smart in school." I've had other conversations with various people these last few weeks as well. Someone told me a story about a mother- it was a good story but it ended with, "Oh but its not like she works."
I don't buy in to the whole your job defines you or your education defines you. And I know I have been right where God wanted me to be. I prayed like crazy after I had Avery on what I should do- stay home or go back to work. I was blessed to be able to decide between the two. I felt with certainty that God was calling me to be home and throughout the years that has been reinforced many times- none more blatantly than when my mother became ill. Because I was a stay at home mom I was able to bring her to my house and care for her. I am eternally thankful for that opportunity.
I know that not every mother is afforded that opportunity- that choice. I also believe that God calls some of us to careers.
Ok- so here I am, anger welling up inside me to the point where I'm having a conversation with myself out loud. Aidan is looking at me like I've lost my mind. "I work-- oh I work! And I'm still intelligent and I went to college. Just who does she..." Stop.
And there it is... their comments aren't bothering me because of what they said but because of how I'm feeling right now. I'm feeling unsure, unsettled. I don't know any longer what God is calling me to do. I'm not certain right now that this is where I should be. I love being home with my boys. I continue to pray about whether or not I am where He wants me to be and I'm doing what He wants me to do. I have a tendency to get comfortable and to stay where I am because of comfort.
If you're reading this please, please pray for me. I know that prayer is powerful. I pray to see with clarity the path that God has for me. I pray that when He does reveal that to me that I see it clearly and follow Him no matter what. I pray that I can stop being so selfish-- very little is about me.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I DEFINITELY understand how you feel and have struggled through so many of these same questions. As Jason and I are dealing with a decision now, this is the verse I have prayed for us and will diligently pray for you:
Isaiah 30:21
Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."

Susan said...

Do you know what I love about you Ashley? That you are so familiar with God's word- you can just pull from it no matter what the situation. Love this verse! Thank you for sharing it and know that I'll be praying that for you also.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

How often have so many of us felt like this. Thanks for putting it in words. I completely understand how you feel. Love the verse that Ashley commented, too.

Audrey said...

Yes, Susan! And thank you Ashley! Maybe it's the weather and the cabin fever we could be experiencing with our kiddos, maybe it's all of the bad news that seems to be coming on a daily basis through sad emails and all, and/or maybe its just the enemy. Or maybe its the Lord challenging to crawl in His lap more and "snuggle". Either way, I know what you mean. The past two days I've been pursuing just the mindset of "stopping, listening for the Lord, feeling a push from the Holy Spirit" then going with is. I've found myself less (yes) defensive, more patient with the kids, and more edifying toward my husband. Thank you, Lord, for always being there in our time of need and for "gently leading those (of us) that have young" Isaiah 40:11.

Anonymous said...

Patience is something I've really had to consciously focus on this week too... I agree with Audrey about the weather blues, etc. But, I know it's more than that as well. I'm praying for you Susan! Just that God will speak to you clearly so that you know that you know that you know... I challenge you not to do ANYTHING though until you are certain. Don't let a season or a person a mite bit insensitive throw you into a loop! And, hey, I'm telling you for real I understand the thing of that time of recooperation! Seriously. Mom died in 2/05, Everett was born in 7/05, we moved in 10/05, and we had house/financial troubles VERY strongly for a couple of years that stretched into me teaching for a bit last year and just feeling like I was in crisis mode for a couple of years there. It took me a year or so to feel like I was out of that and not feeling depressed, stressed, and/or just not "me". You know - just out of the loop? Just keep praying through the funk, know it's normal, and just seek the Lord's face. And, it could be a job or it could be a new area of ministry God wants you to pursue. That was long - sorry! I'm praying for you though! Keep us posted on your thoughts with this!

Susan said...

I appreciate all of your comments. It helps to hear from you guys and to know that sometimes we all struggle with the same issues. I appreciate your prayers more than you know.
Thank you Sarah for always being so willing to share what you went through with your mom's death- I know that's not easy to share sometimes. I loved the story about the strawberry cake that you shared when you were picking up what was left of your at MOPS last week.

Anonymous said...

Oh Susan, so many of us have been there and we constantly venture there often but let me tell you "what you are doing right now is so more important than anything else you could possibly do with your time" "raising God loving children" something our world is lacking tremendously!!! That is what is wrong with the world, women are deciding to go back to work instead of staying home. And some women have to go back to work and they hate it, or at least most of them. I stuggled with staying home as well as does many other of my friends but at the end of the day when I hear my kids praying I know that I am doing what God wants me to, staying home with them. We are shaping who they will become and I certainly dont want someone else doing that for me. Stay at home Moms should be given trophys every year for their service and especially if they are chrisitian mothers like you.
And I guarantee you that one day your boys will thank you for what you have done and for what you are doing. YOur one of the best moms I know!
love you bunches, Vickie Moser

Brea said...

Susan,

Just wanted to tell you that I will commit to praying for you. I have been in different seasons where I have felt some of the same feelings and it is hard. Thanks for being real and putting this out there, it's hard to share our hearts but usually if you are struggling, others are too and blogs like this are what allow us the opportunity to not only share our faith, but support our sisters in Christ. Keep your head up!

Anonymous said...

susan i don't know if you remember or not but about 3 years ago when i too was feeling down about motherhood you sent me a card. I kept it on the fridge for a very long time to remind me how lucky i am to be a mother. This is what it said: The most important job in the world doesn't offer an hourly wage or days off or paid vacatons. but it does offer real feelings,shining faces,bedtime stories,small victories,priceless memories, and many wonderful moments of joy....always remember,there's no more important job in this world then the one you do every day with all your heart. i hope this helps you as much as it has me through the years. love dawn

Susan said...

Thanks for sharing that Dawn. I was teary eyed reading your comment.

Chris McManaman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.